Where: N. Mississippi (Next door to Gravy)
When: Opening March 3rd! Wednesday - Monday 4pm - close, Closed Tuesday
Yes it's true, yet another awesome restaurant and bar is opening on N. Mississippi. Surprised? No? Me neither. It seems as though North Portland, namely N. Mississippi and N. Williams, have become popular streets for great food and drink. Tuesday night I had the chance to tag along for a sneak peak at Sidecar, opening Thursday March 3rd at 4pm!
Sidecar is a skinny bar with an "intimate, speakeasy style" (they're working on it) next door to Gravy on N. Mississippi. The name, inspired by the traditional cocktail, is owned by Blake Smith (of Davis Street Tavern) and John Cooper. During our sneak peak we got to try some snacks and sample some cocktails. Here are some suggestions and current pricing!
- Gin Gin Mule ($7) gin, mint, lime, sugar, ginger. This drink is fabulous if you like ginger, which I do!
- Mississippi Sidecar ($7) brandy, lemon, orange, sugar, served up. I don't like brandy, but I liked this! It's fresh and sweet.
- Your Mother Smells of Elderberries ($8) St. Germain, peychauds, bubbles, orange twist. I love champagne cocktails and St. Germain is possibly my favorite new liquor. Combine them and I am all over it!
Now if your not a fan of prohibition style cocktails, don't worry. With their spin on these classics you will find something you like. They're even going to throw a vodka option on the menu for those die hard vodka drinkers.
- Steak Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce ($6) Definitely a fan. Can't go wrong here!
- Chicken Skewers with Sweet Chili Sauce ($6) These were good, but not exciting. If you love chicken, you'll be happy.
- Panini ($8.50) The panini we sampled had cheese and tomatoes on a grilled focaccia-esque bread and it was wonderful!
- Italian Salami Flat Bread Pizza (8.50) A few drinks down and this small, individual sized pizza is going to be just what you need. Though it's not the best pizza I've ever had, it definitely hit the spot. The whole garlic cloves were amazing!
That's all for the sneak peak. Follow them on Facebook to get all the updates. There will be a proper review with photos once it's officially open!